Just received news that some of my colleagues' homes have been burnt. The situation in dili seems to be yoyo-ing --- from good to bad very quickly. everytime i call back to Dili, there's something new. One moment, all is peaceful and quiet and UNICEF staff able to return home. The next time i call, they're back again in the UN compound, with grim news like that.
One of those whose house was burnt had succeeded narrowly to protect her home just a few days ago. She had returned to the office on Wednesday in a very emotional state. She cried and said, " If they want to kill me, let them but please, ask them to spare the children."
Yes, spare the children.
They are the most innocent ones who are suffering the most in this chaos.
The ones who went through the massacres in 99 are now reliving their horrible time. The memories that might have been dulled with six years of normality must become freshly vivid again. The young ones who have never experienced 99 are now being dragged along by their fleeing families or seeking shelter in crowded camp conditions. They are now experiencing what their older siblings went through. Already many children in Timor are malnourished due to the high level of poverty in the country, so all that this chaos has done is to worsen the condition. The rains pouring down has not helped either, with malaria & dengue-bearing mosquitoes also on the loose.
It's ironic how before, we had been trying to persuade donors that even though the emergency period in Timor was officially over but still needed as much resources as before to assure that the children grow up in a protective environment, where there is education, food, and expression of their rights. You see, donors (read you, me, countries, govts) often shift funds to 'emergencies' around the world. it's as if, we simply drop off their radars. So it's ironic how this crisis would pull the radar back to this country. I'd really rather it didn't happen this way.
i'm attaching the latest presser from UN here.
UN INTER-AGENCY HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE GROUP CONTINUES TO ATTEND TO NEEDS OF IDP’S LOCATED WITHIN DILI
28 May, 2006/ Dili; The Inter-Agency Humanitarian Assistance Group has drawn up a plan to rapidly deliver much needed emergency supplies to Internally Displaced People (IDPs) congregated at more than 35 makeshift camps throughout the city of Dili.
Relief efforts continue and will be stepped up as soon as the security situation eases. The group, led by the Ministry of Labour and Community Reinsertion is comprised of UN agencies and local and international NGO’s.
A spokesperson for the group, Mr Luis Vieira from IOM, said today that food and water has now been distributed to over 30 camps by government staff. However, the unstable security situation has prevented access to some areas where there are people in need.
“If the security situation does not improve, it is possible that the humanitarian crisis could worsen significantly. Families are in need of basic supplies such as food, water, and sanitation to protect against disease, but as long as the situation is so fluid, it is difficult to move freely to distribute relief supplies.” he said.
The last known number of people displaced from their homes is over 50,000, although this is thought to have increased significantly over the last few days. Many people have left the capital for district areas, while others remain in Dili seeking safety and shelter in churches, schools, the airport, and many other locations.
“This causes greater stress on women and their children who are now faced with no food, are exposed to unsafe water and unclean surroundings. This means that infants and children will be at risk of infections and over a long term, malnutrition”, said Ms.Shui-Meng Ng, UNICEF Representative.
The Inter-Agency Humanitarian Assistance Group has been delivering assistance until 25th of May, after people in Dili were displaced from their homes during the days following the 28th April disturbances.
The UN Special Representative to the Secretary General, Sukehiro Hasegawa stressed that humanitarian work is continuing. “The most recent unrest has disrupted these efforts, but as much as possible supplies are being distributed wherever and whenever we can access. This effort is ready to be stepped up as soon as the security situation eases up, which we are working on, in conjunction with the Australian Security Forces.”
The Inter-Agency Humanitarian Assistance Group is comprised of the following agencies, led by the government of Timor-Leste; WHO, UNICEF, IOM, UNDP, UNFPA, WFP, International Red Cross, Cruz Vermelha De Timor-Leste (National Red Cross), Oxfam Australia, Plan international, Health net, Red Cross and Care International, Catholic Relief Services, Caritas Australia.